When it comes to analytics, dashboards have historically been the simplest way to convey and absorb data. Everyday mass amounts of data is processed into reports and dashboards – but how much of this data translates into impactful insights or valuable outcomes? According to a recent report by Exasol “52% of business leaders and data professionals say dashboards are being disregarded because they’re not getting the message across”.
Dashboards vs. Data Storytelling
Dashboards and reports are helpful, but alone, they do not enable data-driven decisions at the speed and scale that are often required for business agility and growth. Therefore, business leaders are turning towards alternative modes of data delivery that are personalized, automated and contextualized.
Data is the most valuable asset businesses possess, which is why the critical shift away from stale dashboards toward methods of vivid data consumption is more important than ever. So what is the best way to convey data’s valuable information if dashboards are ineffective? The answer is: storytelling with data.
“52% of business leaders and data professionals say dashboards are being disregarded because they’re not getting the message across.”
What is Data Storytelling?
Data storytelling is when a narrative is built around a set or sets of data and its accompanying visualizations. This is done in order to present the meaning of that data in the most effective, personalized and efficient form possible. As an upgrade from routine, high maintenance dashboards, data storytelling software surfaces the need-to-know insights unique to the user to intricately display patterns and deliver information. This is done to meet the requirements of both the audience and user. According to a recent Gartner report, “data stories will be the most widespread way of consuming analytics by 2025”.
Benefits of Data Storytelling
- Allows decision makers to make decisions faster with more direct and personalized insight than ever before
- Delivers an intuitive understanding of data, delivering depth that dashboards can’t.
- Communicate the value that is in your data in simplified and efficient ways (text, audio or visual- providing interpretations you may have never considered before.
- Creates a level of transparency and accountability to the key metrics and performance of an organization that may have previously been hidden or overlooked by layers of dashboards
- Data is presented in a tactical, consistently moving manner compared to static never-changing charts or images
Meet Athena the Data Storyteller
Introducing Athena the data storyteller. Athena has the capacity to share analytics directly with business users, allowing them to explore analytics while reducing iterations enabling faster decision-making. Bring your data to life with narratives and visualizations that effectively communicate the significance behind your data.
To learn more about how your business can begin deriving insights and outcomes from data storytelling, request a demo.